Monday, April 25, 2005

Where to file divorce documents

Q: I have lived in BC for just over a year. I am now about to move to
Alberta. Can I file my divorce papers in BC even after moving to Alberta?

A: If you file on your own (sole application), you must file in the province
in which you presently reside. If your spouse is still in BC you can file a
joint application there.

Q: Can I file the papers with a BC court via a court in Alberta - to save
travelling back to BC?

A: No, you would havew to deal directly with the BC court via mail, fax or
telephone.

Q: Can I file my papers in Alberta even though I will be new there?

A: No, you must reside in a province for at least 12 months before you can
file there.

We hope this information is helpful.

Support Desk
support@divorceonline.ca
www.DivorceOnline.ca